Tuesday 6 August 2013

Religious Gardens

St. Joseph's Oratory is one of the must-see tourist attractions of Montreal. Every time a relative or friend visits this city I feel compelled to take them there. This year I took a group of friends from Ottawa and they had a wonderful time as usual. For the first time, however, I walked around the Oratory and noticed a series of religious statues mostly depicting Jesus suffering in some way. I found them to be quite beautiful even though I am not religious myself. In any case, they are worth a look if you ever make your way there. Looking at the website, however, I noticed something a little odd. Beside the option to "Make a Donation" there is something called "Prayer Intention" which in essence is an online space for prayers. Mandatory are the fields of first and last name, city, and email address which I find even stranger. Does someone actually reply to these prayers? Is this the new direction churches are taking? Am I the only one who finds this odd?? In my mind prayers are completely private or between a person and their God only. Maybe I am the one being too traditional!?

For the general website: Saint Joseph's Oratory or for some tourist information: Montreal




No comments:

Post a Comment