Tuesday 28 May 2013

Dairy vs. Non-Dairy Beverages

Since as far back as I can remember I was never a big fan of milk. Adding Nesquik cocoa powder to it was the only thing that made it bearable. Years later I began experiencing cramps whenever consuming too many dairy products in a single day (i.e. pizza with extra cheese, followed by an ice-cream or milkshake). I came to the conclusion that I was mildly lactose intolerant since it's an affliction that both my father and brother have. For years I simply avoided milk altogether and although my love for cheese runs deep, I also drastically limited my intake of it. In my late 20s, however, soy beverages suddenly became all the rage as a healthy milk substitution drink. At first I wasn't a fan, but after trying the vanilla or strawberry varieties I had a change of heart. 

For a few years I happily enjoyed this non-dairy beverage until I started to read about the dangers of GM foods and how nowadays overs 90% of soybeans (in North America) are genetically modified. In addition there have been many questions raised about whether consuming various soy products increases estrogen production in the body. The bottom line is that I have now switched to almond or rice-based beverages. It's a personal choice and maybe one that will be proven harmful in a few years but for now it's what I believe to be the lesser of three evils. Obviously the best option is to stick to water and squeeze your own juices, but if the craving for dairy-like drinks ever strikes, it's good to know there are "safer" alternatives.

Information about various GM crops: GMO Compass and soy's relationship to estrogen: American Cancer Society

No comments:

Post a Comment