Thursday 12 September 2013

My Favourite Place

As part of the initial English assessment at the school where I work, each class was asked to write a short passage on one three topics: 1) My favourite place, 2) Something that happened when I was was very young, 3) My best friend. Needless to say most of the children chose the first option and wrote about places such as India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Lithuania, France, Portugal, or Italy- but this one particular student chose his own garden! This fascinated me. Here is an excerpt of his work:
"My favourite place is my garden because my garden is very big and friends play with me. We explore nature and once my sister was in the garden and she put an ant on me. So let's continue, in my garden we have adventures and it's the best thing. Once we were digging we saw a box then we opened it with joy and the spooky spiders and then we found 20 pounds then we brought to the garden money box because we saved money to get new water guns and then started making a trap because no fox steals or catch our money."
Ok so I am not bragging about this child's grammar skills but suffice to say that this was a lot more interesting to read than another student simply stating that their favourite place was X country because they grew up there. I look forward to reading more interesting pieces like this one throughout the upcoming academic year!

This image is from Hyde Park and has nothing to do with the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment