Thursday 11 October 2012

For Peat's Sake

So I realize this blog has steered away from my garden and more into an environmental/random naturesque site. Since I can't really work on my garden now, found a rather interesting story from the NY Times about the debate between gardeners and environmentalists over the use of peat. Peat is partially decomposed vegetation and used by many gardeners to boost their soil quality. Sounds harmless but is classified as a fossil fuel and has a high carbon content therefore can be responsible for smoldering fires that burn for years.

Expert gardener Bob Flowerdew, along with others in England share their opinions on this matter.  Personally I have never used it although my mother has. Hasn't done wonders for our garden as you can see from previous pics but then again there's been little maintenance involved there over the past few years.

Watch this developing story and see what you think: Greens Versus the Green Thumb

No comments:

Post a Comment